Terms and Conditions
For a story to be included on this website it has to have been published or about to be published in a major newspaper or magazine - or featured by a major broadcaster to guarantee that it is authentic.
The story has to be submitted by a professional journalist who has worked on the story and can vouch that it is genuine. The submission needs to be accompanied by a short note of what is needed so that the donors are aware of where their money will go. It should include a total where relevant – ie 20,000 needed for an operation and the money needs to be paid directly to the hospital, etc. The journalist submitting the copy should also agree to do a follow up story of at least 150 words once the necessary total amount has been raised.
The material provided – which must include at least one free for publication photograph – has to be free of any copyright restrictions which need to be cleared with the copyright holder. The story text copyright holder also needs to allow its use on journalismwithoutborders.com. The article published on journalismwithoutborders.com will link back to the original publication – as long as it is available online.
The story can be originally published in any language but the version published on journalismwithoutborders.com has to be in English. journalismwithoutborders.com reserves the right to edit any stories that are translated versions or broadcast versions turned into print of material that was originally in a different language. However, stories already published in English on an English-language source will not be edited.
By submitting a story you agree that other media may reproduce the supplied words and pictures as long as they make a reference back to the original story – ie as reported in the Times. Any photographic material provided may be used in connection with the fundraising efforts, but any money raised will be paid directly into the respective fundraising appeal that the picture was used to illustrate.
Once the total sum has been raised, you will need to send a short updated report ideally with a photograph if possible to journalismwithoutborders.com. journalismwithoutborders.com is happy to work with the original publisher to provide details of what was done by your readers in any follow up articles.
All payments will be made directly to the registered Austrian charity Helfen Wir (We Help). This charity's status can be checked by contacting your local Austrian Embassy and supplying them with the information you can obtain by clicking here.
In order to guarantee administration costs are kept to a minimum journalismwithoutborders.com guarantees that 90 percent of all the donations received into its account will be paid to the recipient for whom they were intended as outlined at the base of each story. The remaining 10 percent will be automatically deducted by Helfen Wir (We Help) and used for administration which mainly includes travel, bookkeeping and the maintenance of a small office in the Austrian capital Vienna. If there is any remaining money after the administrative costs are covered, it will be used by Helfen Wir (We Help) for their other charity projects. Details of these can be found by clicking here (German only) and include amongst others drilling water holes in Sudan and the building of clinics and schools in Mexico.
Many thanks in advance for your help – and just so you know that it is worthwhile my correspondent in India is flying to the family of Deepak on Tuesday to organise the paperwork for him to fly to Europe. There are a lot of complications but at the end of the day we have a firm offer for him to take should he want to.
The funds will remain open until the target amount has been raised, after which they will be closed. In the event that the request for funds becomes no longer relevant then money collected will be divided among the other fund requests featured on journalismwithoutborders.com. Likewise any money donated without clear reference for which recipient it is intended will be divided equally among the other recipients.
All the accounts are declared with the official Austrian registry of charities. In some countries including Austria these donations can be declared for tax purposes. Please check with your tax advisor.